It can seem like a daunting task maintaining results after Smartlipo or traditional liposuction. Our Las Vegas patients spend a good amount of time and money for liposuction procedures, so we want to ensure they know how to keep the fat off for good.
While there is no magic formula, there are several tips patients should follow after their procedures to maintain optimal results. Here are 5 of our favorites:
- Respect recovery time. You should be fully recovered from traditional liposuction within 6 weeks. If you have added other procedures (as in a mommy makeover), your recovery time may vary. Recovery time for Smartlipo alone, on the other hand, is 1 or 2 days. Read more about tips for recovery in my previous blog post.
- Do not skip meals. Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet keeps your body from going into starvation mode and interfering with your metabolism.
- Tune into your body. Your body is smart: It knows exactly what nutrients it needs. If you are craving a cookie, have a cookie. Just sit down while you eat and pay attention to the flavor. Eat all meals as distraction-free as possible, and you’ll be more satisfied and less tempted to overeat.
- Exercise. Working out doesn’t mean torturing yourself. Think about what you enjoy doing and do that. Try a dance class, bike home from work, or go rollerskating with the kids. It doesn’t have to be painful to be effective.
- Try not to stress. We all know that stress can do awful things to our bodies. Too much stress can interfere with our appetite, sleep schedules, and relationships. Take 30 minutes a day to do something you truly enjoy, whether that’s writing in a journal, taking a walk around the neighborhood, or reading a book. Set the timer on your phone for 30 minutes. You’ll be surprised at how quickly the time passes. Get a friend to commit to taking the time to relax, as well, and text each other the word “done” when you’ve completed your 30 minutes per day.
If you have any questions about maintenance for liposuction procedures, feel free to contact our office at (702) 566.8300.