Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing dermabrasion in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
- Dermabrasion helps to "refinish" the skin's top layers through a method of controlled surgical scraping.
- The treatments soften the sharp edges of surface irregularities, giving the skin a smoother appearance.
- Dermabrasion can be performed on small areas of skin or the entire face. They can be used alone, or in conjunction with other procedures such as facelift, scar removal, or chemical peel.
- This cosmetic surgery procedure is for men and women of all ages, from young people to older adults.
- Some people heal more slowly and will need to keep in mind their skin type, coloring, and medical history. For example, black skin, Asian skin, and other dark complexions may become permanently discolored or blotchy after a skin-refinishing treatment.
Always discuss all of your concerns and expectations with Dr. Cambeiro before your procedure date.
Initial Cosmetic Surgery Consultation
Be open in discussing your expectations with Dr. Cambeiro, and do not hesitate to ask any questions or express any concerns you may have. Dr. Cambeiro will be equally open with you, explaining the factors that could influence the procedure and the results, such as your age, skin condition, and previous plastic surgeries.
Dr. Cambeiro will obtain your medical history and conduct a routine examination. He will explain the cosmetic surgery procedure in detail, along with its risks and benefits, the recovery period, and the costs. Insurance usually does not cover cosmetic procedures; however, it may cover dermabrasion when performed to remove precancerous skin growths or extensive scars. Check your policy or call your carrier to be sure.
the regular price of BOTOX or JUVÉDERM / Restylane with Pam Bowman RN.Get Certificate Get Certificate
Your Second Office Visit
You will meet with Dr. Cambeiro approximately two weeks prior to cosmetic surgery at which time any remaining questions you may have regarding the procedure will be answered. You will have an opportunity to discuss and receive the following information:
- You will receive a general physical examination to ensure that no new underlying medical problems exist that may interfere with the safety of the cosmetic surgery. Any infections that you may have should be discussed with Dr. Cambeiro before your operative date.
- You may also receive instructions regarding the care and treatment of your skin prior to cosmetic surgery
- You will receive specific instructions on how to prepare for surgery. The instructions will include guidelines on eating, drinking, smoking, and taking or avoiding certain vitamins, iron tablets and certain medications.
- A list of your medications will be reviewed and certain medications should be discontinued at least 2 weeks prior to the operation.
- You will be asked to refrain from taking any medications or other substances which could potentially be the cause of surgical complications such as aspirin, NSAIDs and vitamin E. These medications interfere with the blood clotting mechanism and can cause bleeding complications
- You should not take Accutane for 1-2 years prior to this operation.
- Patients with high blood pressure must have their condition well controlled prior to surgery and should plan to take their blood pressure medication right up to the time of their operation.
- If you smoke, you will be asked to stop for four weeks before and after your operation, since smoking decreases blood circulation in to the skin and impedes healing.
- Pre-operative digital photographs are taken so that you can see the improvement from your cosmetic surgery afterwards. You will be asked to sign a photographic consent prior to having any photographs taken. Pictures are usually taken 3 months after your procedure
- Dr. Cambeiro will write prescriptions for post-operative antibiotics to decrease your risk of infection and a pain medication for post-operative pain relief.
- You will receive specific instructions regarding the date and time of your procedure before leaving his office.
- You will be instructed not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your cosmetic surgery.
- You will be asked to pay your surgical fee at your pre-operative visit. The fee is determined at the time of the consultation, and is different for every scenario or combination of areas treated.
- Scheduling cosmetic surgery involves payment of a non-refundable deposit, as there are costs involved with preparing for the operation, and for holding operating room time.
- You will be asked to sign a consent form for the surgical procedure and for his board-certified anesthesiologist.
- You will be asked to pre-arrange for somebody to drive you home from the surgery office after your cosmetic surgery. You cannot operate motor vehicles after surgery, and we will not place recently sedated patients in taxis for transport home. We can arrange for medical transport in the event you cannot find an escort. It is mandatory to have someone stay with you for at least 24 hours after cosmetic surgery for your comfort and safety.
Day of Cosmetic Surgery
- Wear loose fitting clothing that will wash easily in the event they are soiled.
- Leave all jewelry, contact lenses, or other valuables at home.
- Remove all body jewelry from pierced body parts the day of cosmetic surgery.
- Your vital signs will be checked by Dr. Cambeiro's nurse before your operation begins.
- You will meet with the anesthesiologist to review your medical history.
- Dermabrasion can be performed fairly quickly. The procedures usually take from a few minutes to an hour and a half, depending on how large an area of skin is involved.
- People who develop allergic rashes or other skin reactions, or who get frequent fever blisters or cold sores, may experience a flare-up.
- If you have freckles, they may disappear in the treated area.
- In dermabrasion, Dr. Cambeiro scrapes away the outermost layer of skin with a rough wire brush, or a burr containing diamond particles, attached to a motorized handle. The scraping continues until Dr. Cambeiro reaches the safest level that will make the scar or wrinkle less visible.
- It is not uncommon for the cosmetic surgery procedure to be performed more than once, or in stages, especially when scarring is deep or a large area of skin is involved.
- Dr. Cambeiro may then treat the skin in a number of ways, including ointment, a wet or waxy dressing, dry treatment, or some combination of these.
"Dr. Cambeiro did such an amazing job. He is so nice and caring and so is his staff. The results are so much more than I could have ever imagined. I will definitely be recommending family and friends to Dr. Cambeiro. Thank you Dr. Cambeiro for changing my life."*Your results may vary.
- Right after the cosmetic surgery procedure, your skin will become quite red and swollen, and eating and talking may be difficult.
- You will probably feel some tingling, burning, or aching; any pain you feel can be controlled with medications prescribed by Dr. Cambeiro.
- The swelling will begin to subside in a few days to a week.
- A scab or crust will form over the treated area as it begins to heal. This will fall off as a new layer of tight, pink skin forms underneath.
- Your face might itch as new skin starts to grow, and Dr. Cambeiro may recommend an ointment to make you more comfortable. If ointment is applied immediately after surgery, little or no scab will form.
- Detailed instructions will be given on how to take care of your skin. For men, this will include delaying shaving for a while, then using an electric razor at first. It is very important that you understand your instructions and follow them exactly, to ensure the best possible healing.
- If you notice the treated area beginning to get worse instead of better, for example, if it becomes increasingly red, raised, and itchy after it has started to heal, it may be a sign that abnormal scars are beginning to form. Call Dr. Cambeiro soon as possible, so that treatment can begin early.
- You should not drive until you have normal return of daily activity and are off all narcotic medications.
- During the first 24 hours your assigned caretaker will assist you in getting up to the bathroom, taking medications, and eating and drinking. During the first 12-24 hours you will stay on a liquid diet and advance yourself as tolerated.
- You will probably feel tired and sore for a few days following your cosmetic surgery, but you will be up and about in 24-48 hours. Most of your discomfort can be controlled by medication.
- Antibiotics are continued for five days after the procedure to lower the risk of infection.
- You should be up and walking on the morning following your cosmetic surgery, and a light solid diet begun to the point of tolerance.
- If you have a temperature over 99.5 degrees, chills or sweats, a markedly different degree of swelling between sides , and/or increasing rather than decreasing pain—call the office immediately!
- You should be able to return to work within a few days to week, depending on the level of activity required for your job.
- Showering is then permitted but the incisions should not be submerged, as in a tub or pool.
- Your skin will be a bit swollen, sensitive, and bright pink for several weeks. During this time, you can begin gradually resuming your normal activities.
- You can expect to be back at work in about two weeks.
- Dr. Cambeiro will probably advise you to avoid any activity that could cause trauma to your face for at least two weeks. More active sports, especially ball sports, should be avoided for four to six weeks. If you swim, stick to indoor pools to avoid sun and wind, and keep your face out of chlorinated water for at least four weeks.
- It will be at least three to four weeks before you can drink alcohol without experiencing redness.
- Above all, it is important to protect your skin from the sun until the pigment has completely returned to your skin; this can take as long as six to twelve months.
Keep In Mind
- The pinkness of your skin will take about three months to fade. In the meantime, you will probably want to wear non-allergenic makeup when you go out (for tips on hiding your condition when it heals, Dr. Cambeiro will set up a complimentary appointment with his aesthetician).
- When your new skin is fully re-pigmented, the color should closely match the surrounding skin, making the procedure virtually undetectable.
If you would like more information about dermabrasion, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.