Spider Vein Treatments
Dr. Cambeiro offers two main treatment options for visible blood vessels, broken capillaries, and spider veins that commonly develop on the face, chest, and legs. At SurgiSpa in Las Vegas, he performs sclerotherapy and advanced Nd:YAG laser treatments to provide safe, personalized treatment options for a variety of patient needs.
If you would like more information about spider vein treatments, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.
Vein Treatment Candidacy
- The spider vein treatment procedure is for women of any age, but most fall in the 30 to 60 category.
- Spider veins are those small yet unsightly clusters of red, blue, or purple veins that most commonly appear on the thighs, calves, and ankles. In fact, it is estimated that at least half of the adult female population is plagued with this common cosmetic problem.
- Spider veins in men are not nearly as common as they are in women. Men who do have spider veins often do not consider them to be a cosmetic problem because the veins are usually concealed by hair growth on the leg. However, sclerotherapy and YAG laser treatments are just as effective for men who seek treatment.
- The spider vein treatment may also remedy the bothersome symptoms associated with spider veins, including aching, burning, swelling and night cramps.
Always discuss all of your concerns and expectations with Dr. Cambeiro before your spider vein treatment date.
Initial Vein Treatment Consultation
During your initial consultation, Dr. Cambeiro will exam your legs. He will draw a simple sketch of your legs, mapping out the areas affected by spider veins or other problems. During the examination, you will be checked for signs of more serious "deep vein" problems, often indicated by swelling, sores, or skin changes at the ankle. A hand-held Doppler ultrasound device is sometimes used to detect any backflow within the venous system.
If such problems are identified, Dr. Cambeiro may refer you to a different specialist in the Las Vegas area for further evaluation. Problems with larger veins must be addressed first, or treatment of the surface veins will be unsuccessful.
Dr. Cambeiro will ask you about any other problems you may have with your legs, such as pain, aching, itching, or tenderness. You will be asked about your medical history, medications you take, or conditions that would preclude you from having treatment.
It's important to be open in discussing your history and treatment goals with Dr. Cambeiro. Do not hesitate to ask any questions or express any concerns you may have. Dr. Cambeiro will explain the spider vein treatment in detail, along with its risks and benefits, the recovery period and costs. Medical insurance usually does not cover cosmetic procedures.
the regular price of BOTOX or JUVÉDERM / Restylane with our Advanced Aesthetic Nurse Injector.Get Certificate Get Certificate
Vein Treatment Risks/Side Effects
- Serious medical complications from sclerotherapy are extremely rare when a qualified practitioner performs the spider vein treatment. However, they may occur.
- Risks include the formation of blood clots in the veins, severe inflammation, adverse allergic reactions to the sclerosing solution and skin injury that could leave a small but permanent scar.
- A common cosmetic complication is pigmentation irregularity — brownish splotches on the affected skin that may occur is "telangiectatic matting," in which fine reddish blood vessels appear around the tested area, requiring further injections.
Day of Vein Treatment Surgery
- You will receive specific instructions from Dr. Cambeiro on how to prepare for your vein treatment.
- You will be instructed not to apply any type of moisturizer, sunblock or oil to your legs on the day of your spider vein treatment. You may want to bring shorts to wear during the injections, as well as your physician-prescribed support hose, and slacks to wear home.
- After changing into shorts, your legs may be photographed for medical records.
- When scheduling your spider vein treatment, keep in mind that your legs may be bruised or slightly discolored for some weeks afterward.
Vein Treatment Procedure
- A typical sclerotherapy session is relatively quick, lasting only about 15 to 45 minutes.
- You will be asked to lie down on the examination table and the skin over your spider veins will be cleaned with an antiseptic solution.
- Using one hand to stretch the skin taut, Dr. Cambeiro will begin injecting the sclerosing agent into the affected veins. Bright, indirect light and magnification help ensure that the process is completed with maximum precision.
- Once the veins are injected with a sclerosing solution, which causes them to collapse and fade away from view.
- Approximately one injection is administered for every inch of spider vein—anywhere from 5 to 40 injections per treatment session. A cotton ball and compression tape is applied to each area of the leg as it is finished.
- As the spider vein treatment continues, you will feel small needle sticks and possibly a mild burning sensation. However, the needle used is so thin and the sclerosing solution is so mild that pain is usually minimal.
Laser Vein Treatments
- A topical anesthetic is applied to targeted areas if desired and allowed to take effect for approximately 30 minutes. Then the areas are cleansed and dried.
- The YAG laser handpiece is smoothed over your skin as laser energy is emitted in quick pulses. The laser energy is absorbed by the pigment in the veins, causing the veins to collapse and shrink. Treatments feel much like a rubber band snap each time the laser energy is emitted.
- After treatment, you can return to your normal activities right away with minimal discomfort. Most patients need 1 to 3 treatments spaced about 6 weeks apart for best results.
- In addition to the compression tape applied during the spider vein treatment, tight fitting support hose may be prescribed to help promote healing
- The tape and cotton balls can be removed after 48 hours. However, you may be instructed to wear the support hose for 72 hours or more.
- It is not uncommon to experience some cramping in the legs for the first day or two after the injections. This temporary problem usually does not require medication.
- You should be aware that your treated veins will probably look worse before they begin to look better. When the compression dressings are removed, you may notice bruising and reddish areas at the injection sites. The bruises typically diminish within one month. In many cases, there may be some residual brownish pigmentation which may take up to a year to completely fade.
"Dr. Cambeiro did such an amazing job. He is so nice and caring and so is his staff. The results are so much more than I could have ever imagined. I will definitely be recommending family and friends to Dr. Cambeiro. Thank you Dr. Cambeiro for changing my life."*Your results may vary.
Final Result of Vein Treatment
- You will be encouraged to walk to prevent clots from forming in the deep veins of the legs. However, during the period of time to complete your treatment program, prolonged sitting and standing should be avoided, as should squatting, heavy weight lifting and "pounding" type exercises, including jogging.
- A one-month healing interval must pass before you may have your second series of injections in the same site. After each vein treatment, you should notice further improvement of your legs' appearance.
- Although veins that go away with sclerotherapy do not come back, it is important to understand that treatment will not prevent new spider veins from emerging in the future. As time passes, you may find that you need "touch ups" or full treatments for new veins that surface. But even if you choose not to have further sclerotherapy, your legs will look better than if you never had the treatment at all.