Recovering from Arm Lift Surgery
Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing arm lift surgery in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
- Your arms might be swollen for several days following the arm lift procedure.
- We ask that you wear the compressive garment provided for at least two weeks to help minimize swelling.
- Dr. Cambeiro will see you at the office one to three days following arm lift surgery to remove dressings, assess your wounds and to reapply the compressive garment.
- We ask that you wear the garment at all time except when you are bathing and washing the garment.
- You should not drive until you have normal return of daily activity and are off all narcotic medications.
- You should avoid strenuous activities such as bending, lifting, and sports for about three weeks. Drinking alcohol can lead to fluid retention and delays recovery.
- During the first 24 hours your assigned caretaker will assist you in getting up to the bathroom, taking medications, and eating and drinking. During the first 12 to 24 hours you will stay on a liquid diet and advance yourself as tolerated.
- You will probably feel tired and sore for a few days following your arm lift surgery, but you will be up and about in 24 to 48 hours. Most of your discomfort can be controlled by medication.
- Antibiotics are continued for five days after the arm lift procedure to lower the risk of infection.
- You should be up and walking on the morning following your arm lift surgery, and a light solid diet begun to the point of tolerance.
- If you have a temperature over 99.5 degrees, chills or sweats, a markedly different degree of swelling between sides, and/or increasing rather than decreasing pain—call the office immediately!
- You should be able to return to work within a few days to week, depending on the level of activity required for your job.
- Dr. Cambeiro will let you know when a good time is to start up your exercises and normal activities.
- You are allowed to bathe 48 to 72 hours after the arm lift procedure. Showering is then permitted but the incisions should not be submerged, as in a tub or pool.
- The scars of the brachioplasty surgery often become more red two weeks after surgery and then begin to fade two to three months later.
- The scars never completely disappear and take approximately 12 to 18 months to reach their final appearance.
- It is imperative that you not allow sun exposure to these scars while they are still red.
- If sun exposure is to occur sun block should be used.
If you are considering arm lift, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.