Chest Reduction Recovery
Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing gynecomastia surgery in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
- At the conclusion of your breast reduction procedure, you will be placed into a pressure vest over tape and gauze dressings.
- You should not drive until you have normal return of daily activity and are off any narcotic medications.
- You should avoid strenuous activities such as bending, lifting, and sports for about three weeks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it can lead to fluid retention and delays recovery.
- It is necessary that a responsible adult escort be available to transport you to and from the operation, and be available for the first 24 hours.
- During that time, the caretaker will assist the patient in getting up to the bathroom, taking medications, and eating and drinking. During the first 12-24 hours you stay on a liquid diet and advance yourself as tolerated.
- The chest will become bruised, swollen, and tender for a week or so, but the pain should not be severe, and is usually well controlled with the pain medication that is prescribed
- Antibiotics are continued for five days after the breast reduction procedure to lower the risk of infection.
- You should be up and walking on the morning following your surgery, and a light solid diet begun to the point of tolerance.
- If you have a temperature over 99.5 degrees, chills or sweats, a markedly different degree of swelling between sides, and/or increasing rather than decreasing pain—call the office immediately!
- You should be able to return to work within a few days to week, depending on the level of activity required for your job.
- You are allowed to bathe 48 to 72 hours after the breast reduction procedure. Showering is then permitted but the incisions should not be submerged, as in a tub or pool.
- After two to three days, Dr. Cambeiro will remove the dressings, and the incisions are checked to ensure that there are no problems or complications such as infection.
- You will be asked to wear the vest around the clock for four to six weeks for support of the skin during the early stages of wound healing.
- The skin of the chest may feel numb for a while, usually the feeling will return in six to eight weeks, but can take up to a year to feel completely normal.
- Heavy exercise should be avoided for three to four weeks, and you should stay away from sporting activities or work that risks a blow to the chest for four weeks as well.
- Avoiding sun exposure to the incisions sites for six months or more reduces the risk of dark pigmentation of the scars; you may need to use a sunscreen for up to a year for this reason. It normally takes approximately six to eight weeks for all of the initial swelling to subside.
If you are considering gynecomastia, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.