The abdominoplasty procedure, often called a tummy tuck, is for women and men who are bothered by loose abdominal skin and fat deposits that do not go away with diet and exercise. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Arthur Cambeiro has extensive experience performing tummy tuck surgery in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV to help his patients feel more attractive and confident.
To find out about the improvements possible with a tummy tuck, request a complimentary consultation with our patient coordinator or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you live outside the area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
*Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
Tummy Tuck Candidates
Tummy tuck candidates may be healthy adults of any age who have realistic expectations for their results. This procedure restores firmer, more youthful abdominal contours by providing one or more of the following improvements:
- Tightening loose skin and reducing stretch marks after significant weight loss or pregnancy
- Reducing areas of excess abdominal fat
- Repairing weak, stretched abdominal muscles after pregnancy
- Flattening a tummy bulge
During your initial consultation, we will determine if a tummy tuck will give you the improvements you want. In many cases, Dr. Cambeiro combines liposuction with tummy tuck surgery to better enhance the contour of the abdomen and flanks. Bariatric surgery and other massive weight loss patients may require a body lift instead of only a tummy tuck.
"Dr. Cambeiro could not have done any better. He listened to what it was I wanted, spent a lot of time with me, did not rush me through my process and answered all of my questions. His staff goes above and beyond any expectations of an office staff and they greet you by your name when you walk in the door. The whole practice from top to bottom is top notch. I cannot be happier with my results!!" *
~Tummy tuck patient (RealSelf.com)
*Your results may vary.
Tummy Tuck Cost
A common consideration by people considering tummy tuck surgery is how much it will cost. At our practice, tummy tuck procedures usually range from $6,800 to $8,500, depending on the amount of surgical time, anesthesia fees, complexity of the procedure, and whether or not other procedures are performed during the same surgery. When choosing a plastic surgeon, qualifications and experience are the top priorities – you can't put a price on your safety and your results. If cost is a concern for you, we offer financing options that may help you to fit tummy tuck surgery into your budget.
When to Postpone a Tummy Tuck
Dr. Cambeiro may recommend postponing tummy tuck surgery, if you are planning to:
- Lose a lot of weight. The skin that is tightened during a tummy tuck can become loose again if you lose a significant amount of weight.
- Become pregnant. The muscles and skin that are tightened can become loose again if you become pregnant.
Tummy Tuck Options
Dr. Cambeiro personalizes the following tummy tuck variations to the unique needs of each patient:
- Complete tummy tuck: This comprehensive technique is appropriate for most tummy tuck patients because it restores the abdomen above and below the belly button. The incision typically runs from hipbone to hipbone, just above the pubic area. Dr. Cambeiro takes special care to keep this incision as low as possible. He also makes a second incision to free the belly button (umbilicus) from surrounding skin and tissue. In many cases, he repairs abdominal muscles that were stretched and separated during pregnancy.
- Mini tummy tuck: This operation is similar to the complete abdominoplasty procedure, but the incision is significantly smaller and the belly button is left in its original place. The amount of skin dissection and muscle tightening is also limited.
"The mini tummy-tuck scar is slightly longer than my C-section scar but Dr. Cambeiro's scar prevention strategy has allowed it to heal nicely and stay concealed in skimpy underwear or a bikini." *
~Mommy makeover patient (Yelp review)
*Your results may vary.
- Panniculectomy: This procedure, also called an abdominal dermolipectomy, is a modified version of the tummy tuck that addresses overhanging lower belly skin. This procedure is generally performed to alleviate pain, prevent infections, and improve personal hygiene. As such, it may be considered "medically necessary" and may be covered by medical insurance.
How Is a Tummy Tuck Performed?
Dr. Cambeiro performs tummy tuck surgery as an outpatient procedure assisted by a board-certified anesthesiologist. The procedure takes about 2 to 5 hours to complete, depending on the amount of correction required.
Dr. Cambeiro begins by making an incision, taking care to place it low enough where the scar will be covered by underwear or a bathing suit. When performing a complete tummy tuck, he separates the skin from the abdominal wall all the way up to the ribs and lifts a large skin flap to expose the vertical abdominal muscles. He tightens these muscles by pulling them close together and stitches them into their new position. The result is a firmer abdominal wall and narrower waistline. Dr. Cambeiro often uses liposuction to reduce areas of excess fat. He then stretches the skin flap down, removes the excess skin, and repositions the belly button through the skin.
During the tummy tuck procedure, drain tubes are placed under the skin to remove any fluid that may accumulate after the operation. The skin may be closed with dissolvable stitches or those that will need to be removed. Several sutures may be placed at the navel that will require removal.
Visit Tummy Tuck Recovery to learn what to expect after surgery.
Tummy Tuck FAQ
Dr. Cambeiro has probably heard every question imaginable related to tummy tuck surgery. Here, he answers some of the more common ones.
Can I get liposuction instead of a tummy tuck?
Liposuction is excellent for removing areas of excess fat, and I often combine it with tummy tuck procedures. But the only way to tighten loose, stretched skin and repair abdominal muscles is a tummy tuck.
How long should I wait after having babies to have a tummy tuck?
I recommend waiting 6 months to a year for post-pregnancy changes to stabilize, and so that you are not caring for an infant after your surgery.
Is it ok to have a baby after a tummy tuck?
Yes, it's safe to become pregnant after having a tummy tuck, but not advisable. If you do not plan to become pregnant in the near future, you can proceed with your tummy tuck surgery without hesitation. I usually recommend holding off on a tummy tuck until patients are done having children because the improvements gained from the surgery will likely be compromised.
Will I have a scar after a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck, like all surgical procedures, will leave a scar. I strive to place the tummy tuck incision where it will be covered by a bathing suit and underwear. Most patients consider the improvements they gain well worth the scar. To minimize scarring, you might consider embrace® scar therapy after surgery.