Breast Reconstruction Consultation
Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing breast reconstruction surgery in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
You can begin talking about reconstruction as soon as you are diagnosed with cancer. Ideally, you will want your breast surgeon and Dr. Cambeiro to work together to develop a strategy that will put you in the best possible condition for breast reconstruction.
After evaluating your health, Dr. Cambeiro will explain which reconstructive options are most appropriate for your age, health, anatomy, tissues, and goals. Be sure to discuss your expectations frankly with Dr. Cambeiro and he will do the same in return. Dr. Cambeiro will discuss your options and the risks and limitations of each. Post-mastectomy reconstruction can improve your appearance and renew your self-confidence, but keep in mind that the desired result is improvement, not perfection.
Furthermore, Dr. Cambeiro will explain the anesthesia he will use during your breast reconstruction procedure. He will address the risks involved in the breast implant surgery as well as your expectations of the overall outcome. You will be given a cost estimate for your procedure. In most cases, health insurance policies will cover most or all of the cost of post-mastectomy breast reconstruction. Check your policy to make sure you are covered and to see if there are any limitations on what types of reconstruction are covered.
Your Second Office Visit
You will meet with Dr. Cambeiro approximately two weeks prior to your Las Vegas plastic surgery procedure, at which time any remaining questions you may have regarding the operation will be answered. You will have an opportunity to discuss and receive the following information:
- You will receive a general physical examination to ensure that no new underlying medical problems exist that may interfere with the safety of the surgery. Any infections that you may have should be discussed with Dr. Cambeiro before your operative date.
- You will receive specific instructions on how to prepare for breast reconstruction surgery. The instructions will include guidelines on eating, drinking, smoking, and taking or avoiding certain vitamins, iron tablets and certain medications.
- A list of your medications will be reviewed and certain medications should be discontinued at least 2 weeks prior to the operation.
- You will be asked to refrain from taking any medications or other substances which could potentially be the cause of surgical complications such as aspirin, NSAIDs and vitamin E. These medications interfere with the blood clotting mechanism and can cause bleeding complications
- Patients with high blood pressure must have their condition well controlled prior to breast implant or reconstruction surgery and should plan to take their blood pressure medication right up to the time of their operation.
- If you smoke, you will be asked to stop for four weeks before and 4 after your operation, since smoking decreases blood circulation in to the skin and impedes healing.
- Pre-operative digital photographs are taken so that you can see the improvement from your breast reconstruction surgery afterwards. You will be asked to sign a photographic consent prior to having any photographs taken. Pictures are usually taken 3 months after your procedure
- Dr. Cambeiro will write prescriptions for post-operative antibiotics to decrease your risk of infection and a pain medication for post-operative pain relief.
- You will receive specific instructions regarding the date and time of your breast implant procedure before leaving his office.
- You will be instructed not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your breast implant surgery.
- You will be asked to pay your surgical fee at your pre-operative visit. The fee is determined at the time of the consultation, and is different for every scenario or combination of areas treated.
- Scheduling breast reconstruction surgery involves payment of a non-refundable deposit, as there are costs involved with preparing for the operation, and for holding operating room time.
- You will be asked to sign a consent form for the surgical procedure and for board-certified anesthesia.
- You will be asked to pre-arrange for somebody to drive you home from the surgery office after your surgery. You cannot operate motor vehicles after breast reconstruction surgery, and we will not place recently sedated patients in taxis for transport home. We can arrange for medical transport in the event you cannot find an escort. It is mandatory to have someone stay with you for at least 24 hours after surgery for your comfort and safety.
Types of Breast Reconstruction Implants
If Dr. Cambeiro recommends the use of a breast implant, you will want to discuss what type of breast implant should be used. A breast implant is a silicone shell filled with either silicone gel or a salt-water solution known as saline.
Due to concerns that there is insufficient information demonstrating the safety of silicone gel-filled breast implants, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined that new gel-filled breast implants should be available only to women participating in approved studies. This currently includes women who already have tissue expanders, who choose immediate reconstruction after mastectomy, or who already have a gel-filled breast implant and need it replaced for medical reasons. Eventually, all patients with appropriate medical indications may have similar access to silicone gel-filled breast implants.
The alternative saline-filled breast implant, a silicone shell filled with salt water, continues to be available on an unrestricted basis, pending further FDA review. As more information becomes available, these FDA guidelines may change.
Day of Breast Reconstruction Surgery
- Wear loose fitting clothing that will wash easily in the event they are soiled.
- Leave all jewelry, contact lenses, or other valuables at home.
- Remove all body jewelry from pierced body parts the day of breast reconstruction surgery.
- Your vital signs will be checked by Dr. Cambeiro's nurse before your operation begins.
- Dr. Cambeiro will place skin markings on your abdomen to direct him during the procedure.
- You will meet with the anesthesiologist to review your medical history.
- The procedure will take two to five hours, depending on the amount of work required.
If you are considering breast reconstruction, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.