How Breast Reduction Surgery is Performed
Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing breast reduction surgery in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
- The specific method chosen for your breast reduction will be determined by your anatomy, Dr. Cambeiro's preferences, and your desired results.
- The most common method uses a three-part incision. One part of the incision is made around the areola. Another runs vertically from the bottom edge of the areola to the crease underneath the breast. The third part is a horizontal incision beneath the breast, which follows the natural curve of the breast crease.
- In the short scar vertical technique, Dr. Cambeiro may be able to avoid the horizontal incision that runs underneath the breast.
- After Dr. Cambeiro has removed the excess breast tissue, fat and skin, the nipple and areola are shifted to a higher position. The areola, which is usually larger than ideal, is reduced in size. Skin that was formally located above the nipple is brought down and together to reshape the breast. Liposuction in Las Vegas may be used to improve the contour, especially on the sides of the breasts.
- The nipples and areolas usually remain attached to their underlying tissue as they are moved to their higher position—much like a button being moved to a higher buttonhole—and this may allow for preservation of sensation. This method may also preserve the ability to breast-feed, although it is not guaranteed.
- Other incision techniques may be used in some instances. Women whose breasts contain a significant amount of fatty tissue may find that liposuction alone can be used to reduce breast size with only minimal scars.
If you are considering breast reduction, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.