How Eyelid Surgery is Performed
Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
- If you are having all four eyelids done, Dr. Cambeiro will most likely work on the upper lids first, then the lower ones.
- Dr. Cambeiro makes incisions following the natural lines of your eyelids, in the creases of your upper lids. And just below the lashes in the lower lids. The incisions may extend into the crow's feet or laugh lines at the outer corners of your eyes. Working through these incisions, he will separate the skin from underlying fatty tissue and muscle, remove excess fat, and often trims sagging skin and muscle. Most of the operation will be done with a very fine electrocautery, which controls any bleeding. The incisions are then closed with very fine sutures.
- Women and men considering eyelid surgery often are interested in other cosmetic facial enhancements, including brow lift and facelift in Las Vegas.
- If you have a pocket of fat beneath your lower eyelids, but do not need to have any skin removed, Dr. Cambeiro may perform a transconjunctival blepharoplasty. In this procedure, the incision is made inside your lower eyelid, leaving no visible scar. It is usually performed on younger patients with thicker, more elastic skin.
- Occasionally, the lower eyelid is very lax, and removal of any amount of skin could result in a pulling down of the lid, or ectropion. In this case, Dr. Cambeiro may elect to perform what is called a lateral canthoplasty. In this procedure, the actual lid structure is tightened up to the bone of the eye socket near the outer corner. This may result in a change in the shape of your eyelid, which can be permanent, and will lengthen your recovery. There is an additional fee for this procedure as well. More than likely a tarsorrhaphy suture will be placed instead of performing a lateral canthoplasty. This suture temporarily partially approximates your lateral upper and lower eyelids to help decrease the risk of ectropion. This suture remains in place for 5 to 7 days.
If you are considering eyelid surgery, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.