Eyelid Surgery Recovery
Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
- After eyelid surgery, Dr. Cambeiro will lubricate your eyes with ointment and may apply a bandage. Your eyelids may feel tight and sore as the anesthesia wears off, but you can control any pain with medication.
- Dr. Cambeiro recommends that you avoid using your eyes, and try to get as much rest as possible during the first week after eyelid surgery. Try staying propped up on a couple of pillows in bed, or better yet, sleep in a recliner if you have one; this reduces swelling.
- Avoid reading, watching television, or using a computer for the first week. Blinking leads to increased swelling. Staring at a monitor is frequently accompanied by drying out the eyes, which increases irritation and prolongs recovery. Take this opportunity to catch up on sleep and avoid interruptions, which may cause stress.
- You will need to keep your head elevated for several days, and to use cold compresses to reduce swelling and bruising. Frozen peas placed into an inexpensive "Zip lock" type baggie works very well as a compress. You should avoid anything heavier than one ounce.
- You will be shown how to clean your eyes, which may be gummy for a week or so. It might be recommended that you use eye drops, since your eyelids may feel dry at first and your eyes may burn or itch.
- When you go outside, use sunglasses, as you may be very sensitive to light for a while. Avoid wearing contact lenses for at least a week.
- Healing is a gradual process and it usually takes six weeks for you to look completely natural, or no longer "surgical".
- You might experience excessive tearing, sensitivity to light, and temporary changes in your eyesight, such as double vision or blurring.
- Dr. Cambeiro will follow your progress closely for the first week or two. The stitches will be removed five days to a week after blepharoplasty surgery. Once the stitches are out, the swelling and discoloration around your eyes will gradually subside, and you will look and feel much better.
- You should not drive until you have normal return of daily activity and are off all narcotic medications.
- You should avoid strenuous activities such as bending, lifting, and sports for about three weeks. Drinking alcohol can lead to fluid retention and delays recovery.
- During the first 24 hours your assigned caretaker will assist you in getting up to the bathroom, taking medications, and eating and drinking. During the first 12-24 hours you will stay on a liquid diet and advance yourself as tolerated.
- You will probably feel tired and sore for a few days following your blepharoplasty surgery, but you will be up and about in 24-48 hours. Most of your discomfort can be controlled by medication.
- Antibiotics are continued for five days after the eyelid surgery to lower the risk of infection.
- You should be up and walking on the morning following your eyelid surgery, and a light solid diet begun to the point of tolerance.
- If you have a temperature over 99.5 degrees, chills or sweats, a markedly different degree of swelling between sides, and/or increasing rather than decreasing pain—call the office immediately!
- You should be able to return to work within a few days to week, depending on the level of activity required for your job.
- Dr. Cambeiro will let you know when a good time is to start up your exercises and normal activities.
- You are allowed to bathe 48 to 72 hours after the eyelid surgery. Showering is then permitted but the incisions should not be submerged, as in a tub or pool.
Final Result of Blepharoplasty Surgery
- Healing is a gradual process, and your scars may remain slightly pink for six months or more after surgery. Eventually, they will fade into a thin white line.
- The positive results of your eyelid surgery are that you will look more alert and have a more youthful and fresh appearance
- If you have met your goals, then your surgery is a success.
If you are considering eyelid surgery, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.