Your Initial Consultation
Dr. Cambeiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon performing eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you live outside of the Las Vegas area, please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
Dr. Cambeiro will perform a thorough medical and surgical history. He will need to know all of your medical conditions and current medications.
In addition, you will need to inform Dr. Cambeiro of any history of allergies to medications. He will need to know if you wear corrective lenses, or if you have had prior blepharoplasty eyelid surgery or eyelid muscle surgery. He will also do a thorough eyelid examination, and will assess other related issues, which impact the perception of eyelid aging, such as the effect of the eyebrows and the skin itself. A vision exam and sometimes a test of tear function will be done. He will discuss the relevance of all of these issues as they relate to your overall appearance. Dr. Cambeiro might feel that there are indications for you to seek consultation with a board-certified ophthalmologist; he will make the referral if necessary.
Furthermore, Dr. Cambeiro will explain the anesthesia he will use during your eyelid surgery. He will address the risks involved in the surgery as well as your expectations of the overall outcome. You will be given a cost estimate for your eyelid surgery.
Always discuss any questions you may have, especially those regarding your expectations and concerns about the results.
Your Second Office Visit
You will meet with Dr. Cambeiro approximately 1-2 weeks prior to your Las Vegas cosmetic surgery, at which time any remaining questions you may have regarding the operation will be answered.
You will have an opportunity to discuss and receive the following information:
- You will receive a general physical examination to ensure that no new underlying medical problems exist that may interfere with the safety of the blepharoplasty surgery. Any infections that you may have should be discussed with Dr. Cambeiro before your operative date.
- You will receive specific instructions on how to prepare for eyelid surgery. The instructions will include guidelines on eating, drinking, smoking, and taking or avoiding certain vitamins, iron tablets and certain medications.
- A list of your medications will be reviewed and certain medications should be discontinued at least 2 weeks prior to the operation.
- You will be asked to refrain from taking any medications or other substances which could potentially be the cause of surgical complications such as aspirin, NSAIDs and vitamin E. These medications interfere with the blood clotting mechanism and can cause bleeding complications
- Patients with high blood pressure must have their condition well controlled prior to eyelid surgery and should plan to take their blood pressure medication right up to the time of their operation.
- If you smoke, you will be asked to stop for four weeks before and after your operation, since smoking decreases blood circulation in to the skin and impedes healing.
- Pre-operative digital photographs are taken so that you can see the improvement from your eyelid surgery afterwards. You will be asked to sign a photographic consent prior to having any photographs taken. Pictures are usually taken 3 months after your eyelid surgery
- Dr. Cambeiro will write prescriptions for post-operative antibiotics to decrease your risk of infection and a pain medication for post-operative pain relief.
- You will receive specific instructions regarding the date and time of your eyelid surgery before leaving his office.
- You will be instructed not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your blepharoplasty surgery.
- You will be asked to pay your surgical fee at your pre-operative visit. The fee is determined at the time of the consultation, and is different for every scenario or combination of areas treated.
- Scheduling blepharoplasty surgery involves payment of a non-refundable deposit, as there are costs involved with preparing for the operation, and for holding operating room time.
- You will be asked to sign a consent form for the surgical eyelid surgery and for board-certified anesthesia.
- You will be asked to pre-arrange for somebody to drive you home from the surgery office after your eyelid surgery. You cannot operate motor vehicles after surgery, and we will not place recently sedated patients in taxis for transport home. We can arrange for medical transport in the event you cannot find an escort. It is mandatory to have someone stay with you for at least 24 hours after blepharoplasty surgery for your comfort and safety.
Day of Eyelid Surgery
- Wear loose fitting clothing that will wash easily in the event they are soiled.
- Leave all jewelry, contact lenses, or other valuables at home.
- Remove all body jewelry from pierced body parts the day of eyelid surgery.
- Your vital signs will be checked by Dr. Cambeiro's nurse before your operation begins.
- Prior to sedation, Dr. Cambeiro will carefully mark the skin with a marking pen, following your natural skin creases, so as to minimize visibility of the scars after surgery.
- You will meet with the anesthesiologist to review your medical history.
- The blepharoplasty will most likely take one to three hours, depending on the extent of the eyelid surgery.
If you are considering eyelid surgery, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Cambeiro invites you to request a complimentary consultation or give our office a call at (702) 734-4100 for confidential and informative answers to all your questions. If you prefer, you can send us an email using our discreet online form.