This Las Vegas cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery procedure is about helping women who have lost a breast to cancer to get their lives back on track while enjoying a very natural appearance. Dr. Cambeiro has performed breast reconstruction for a wide variety of women in Nevada and is also available for women who want to fly to his practice for surgery. Please contact us to learn more about our fly-in program.
- The first stage of reconstruction, creation of the breast mound, is almost always performed using general anesthesia, so you will sleep during the entire operation.
- Follow-up procedures may require only a local anesthesia, combined with a sedative to make you drowsy. You will be relaxed, but awake, and may feel some discomfort.
- There are many options available in post-mastectomy reconstruction; you and Dr. Cambeiro should discuss the one that is best for you.
Following mastectomy, Dr. Cambeiro will insert a balloon expander beneath your skin and chest muscle. Through a tiny valve mechanism buried beneath the skin, he will periodically inject a salt-water solution to gradually fill the expander over several weeks or months.
- After the skin over the breast area has stretched enough the, the expander may be removed in a second operation and a more permanent breast implant will be inserted. Some expanders are designed to be left in place as the final breast implant.
- The nipple and the dark skin surrounding it, called the areola, are reconstructed in a subsequent procedure.
- Some breast reconstruction patients do not require preliminary tissue expansion before receiving a breast implant. For these women, the surgeon will proceed with inserting an implant as the first step.